Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Comida -- de Colombia


When we traveled through Europe, one of the most obnoxious habits of taking pictures of food proved to be the most interesting in retrospect. 

Therefore, although I will doubtlessly drive myself insane, I have dedicated myself to documenting meals. 

Food in Colombia. Goodness. Breakfasts are tiny but savory, lunches are giant, and stretched over two hour periods, and suppers are small- typically fruit, tea, and possibly a piece of bread, late at night. It's easy to fall into this pattern, and exploring the food has been so fun. 

Breakfasts with our host, Carolina, have typically been arepas with hot chocolate, and tons and tons of fresh papaya and banana. Bananas from Colombia have ruined imported bananas in America for me - I know this already. The sweetness is incomparable. 


Lunches are giant. You begin with soup (something to warm you up) -- which you pair with half a banana. Following you have some kind of juice -- my favorite was mango. Then you have meat, rice, potato, plantain, and some form of avocado. 



The last day in Colombia, Carolina treated me to a traditional Colombian breakfast. We went to a small panaderia and I ordered "changua especial." It is a soup, constituted with bread, egg, milk, and cheese. It is completely and entirely delicious. 


Lastly, Caro took Janet and me out for dinner-- the most glorious ensalada de frutas. 


Colombia -- you've been sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment